What are the possible side effects of furosemide
Seek emergency medical attention if you have any of these signs of allergic reactions: hives; labored breathing; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using furosemide and call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects such as:
- Ringing in the ears, hearing loss;
- Itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clayey stool, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- Severe pain in the upper abdomen, extending to the back, nausea and vomiting;
- Weight loss, pain in the body, numbness;
- Swelling, rapid weight gain, urination less than usual or not at all;
- Chest pain, a new or worsening cough with fever, trouble breathing;
- Pale skin, bruises, unusual bleeding, a sense of lightheadedness, heart palpitations, trouble concentrating;
- Low potassium (confusion, irregular heart rhythm, discomfort in the legs, muscle weakness or lame feeling);
- Low calcium (tingly feeling around your mouth, muscle density or contraction, overactive reflexes);
- Headache, a sense of instability, weak or shallow breathing; or
- A serious skin reaction is fever, sore throat, swelling of the face or tongue, burning sensation in the eyes, pain in the skin, then a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially on the face or upper body) and causes swelling and flaking.
Less serious side effects may include:
- Diarrhea, constipation, pain in the stomach;
- Dizziness, spinning; or
- Mild itching or rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects, perhaps others. Ask your doctor about side effects. You can report the side effects of the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
My husband has hypertension (high blood pressure). This is due to his harmful habits and his profession. The doctor of their enterprise says that in the park drivers of buses and minibuses all have this disease, because of stress, broken daily routine, improper diet, smoking, alcohol in the evenings and weekends. Frequent cases when directly behind the wheel can develop a stroke or a heart attack.
The husband is at risk. At one time he had a stably increased pressure, and when he was not allowed to travel for the first time because of pressure, he gave himself up to doctors, allowing him to prescribe medication because he was afraid of losing his job. Drugs and dosage were selected for a long time. In extreme cases, her husband was prescribed Furosemide. I will describe one of them, since all cases are similar.
The Christmas holidays is the most difficult test for our family. Our breadwinner is excommunicated for a decade from the helm (it’s cold, we do not need to go anywhere) and celebrates the Christmas and the next birthday of his daughter immediately. During taking alcohol tablets from the pressure, he does not drink. And by the time the ambulance arrives, his blood pressure is high, his face swells and his eyes are cracked. It is pumped out and prescribed a refusal of alcohol, a tablet of pressure and a diuretic Furosemide for the speedy removal of edema and a decrease in pressure. Once a day, half the tablet. Gradually the condition stabilizes.
Sometimes the husband himself understands that a diuretic is needed, and then he has tablets from the pressure with a diuretic effect.
And Furosemide is an emergency and a bit harmful agent that quickly removes swelling and normalizes blood pressure, but also removes calcium, magnesium and other beneficial substances from the body. Therefore, we try to take it only when life threatens. After all, doctors – the main thing is to provide first aid on the problem, and they do not care about side effects at all.